Sunday, May 20, 2012

Asha 302 - Day four of #SmartphoneLiteWeek

Asha 302 - Day four of #SmartphoneLiteWeek



To call this last day with the Asha full of surprises would be an understatement. Until now I've used Opera Mini, because I'm used to it and I wanted something familiar. But yesterday I started using the Nokia Browser for S40. To my surprise I discovered that it was faster than Opera. I'm still having a hard time believing it.

I tried to figure out what was happening and I think I managed to do so. Opera uses a very flexible rendering engine, but, since it is a Mini version, some websites have trouble rendering their content. On similar sites, I haven't seen the Nokia Browser acting up. Instead of using a web render engine on the phone I think the Nokia Browser uses the cloud to render a plain HTML file, the file that it actually displays on the phone. There are advantages and disadvantages for both methods. Opera will be able to render pages even if the cloud is down, while the Nokia Browser may be fully dependent of the browser. On the other hand, Nokia Browser will have to get less application updates than Opera because the rendering is done in the cloud. That means that you may find yourself loading pages faster without needing a software update.

I have to say that Nokia's browser approach is suitable for this kind of device, with limited RAM and limited resources. I am using the Nokia Browser now as my main browser for that reason.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment